Saturday, May 17, 2014

Making Friends

I'm sure you've read a million posts about making friends abroad. I've read them too, and I still struggle. Is it the short time, the independence, the confidence? I don't know, but what I do know is that whether you are 5 or 105, making a new friend feels good.

In Dhaka, I learned a good lesson on assumptions. Though it was innocent, I still learned to broaden the scope a bit or think before speaking. While at the American Intl Schol in Dhaka, I overheard an accent in the PreK class. "Where in the States are you from?" I asked. "I'm Canadian!" was the reply.... oops. My first expat post, so I guess you could say I was still a tad green around the edges. I've learned a lot since then.
 This week at San Anton Gardens, the Kitchen Garden, I overheard again, but asked "Are you Canadian or American?". And thus a friendship began, good conversations, kids playing and similar topics. Wouldn't you know, she is from near where my first great, sassy Canadian friend (you know I love you Sandra!) is from. I guess I'm drawn to Canadians! Some are our very great friends (you too Lara!). We always joked about how we had better mail and entertainment, but they have better healthcare. Share food, spend time and play with kids together. 

Today I was invited by a good friend, who I met here in Malta through her blog, www.capersandolives.blogspot.com , to an artsy lunch where she and some friends were selling their wares. She and I met through my emailing her after reading her blog and feelings we'd hit it off. I am not usually the "starter" in friendships, guess I fear rejection or who knows? We also have a close family, so I feel awkward sometimes to offer a friendship I might not always have the time to tend.

Not only did I re-meet the woman who hit it off at the garden, but also a nice woman who lives LITERALLY 4 doors down (we are on different schedules and rarely pass), plus a multitude of other VERY interesting ladies. It was nice to be in a room with many expats and so many interesting and eclectic woman, many mothers also. The vibe just felt good, if that doesn't sound cheesy. Discussions came up actually that mentioned "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "Eat, Pray, Love", so it MUST be fate, right?!

Looking forward to new friendships, lasting ones and learning new people, playdates and visits. Here's hoping! And coming home to 3 lovelies still napping since I left - topping the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment