Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Arlington National Cemetary ~ Starfish Legend

Over the weekend, we visited Arlington National Cemetary. We had intended to wait until next week when Chris's parents arrive, but decided to go now in case the weather didn't cooperate later. We were so proud of how quiet and well mannered Ceiba was while we walked and during the Changing of the Guard. I like to think she picked up on the vibes coming from both of us to be respectful. The fieldtrip groups... well, I would like to have done like my dad used to do to us if we peeped in church and THUMP them on the head with my wedding ring. It smarts!


I am really becoming an emotional basketcase as I age, to the point that "I didn't realize it was going to bother you so much" was said to me on the way home. All through school, I was the kid who never cried, but now am a tear streaked mess at the sight of a cemetary or war memorial. When we talk about overseas posts, in the back of my mind I always wonder how much the poverty and dire conditions of places may effect us. In travels, we've seen misfortune and sad situations, but I know what still lies ahead for our eyes to see is tenfold. It makes one appreciate their own good fortune and hopefully makes us follow through to make a difference or help where we can, however small a gesture may seem.

The Legend of the Starfish

A businessman was on vacation, walking along the beach, and saw a young boy.

All along the shore were starfish that had washed up from the tide, and were likely to die in the hot sun.

The boy walked along the shore, reached down here and there to pick up a starfish & toss it back into the ocean.

The businessman, so accustomed to efficiency, walked up to the boy to tell him about his nonsensical ways.

"I’ve noticed what you’ve been doing, son. You have a warm heart and I know you mean well, but there’s so many starfish dying on beaches all over the world. I’m sure you could do something better with your time.
Do you really think this is going to make a difference?"

The boy glanced up at the man, and looked down at a starfish by his feet. He picked up the beautiful starfish and tossed it back into the ocean, and said, "It made a difference to that one".

- adapted from "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley (1907 - 1977)

                     pic deviantart.com

1 comment: